We know moving is stressful. Multiply that stress level exponentially when children are involved. While in many circumstances, moving is for positive reasons, be sure to include your children in the process so they know it is an exciting time for the whole family.
Remember, oftentimes they are letting go of the only home they’ve ever known, so identifying ways to ensure your child’s experience is a positive one is easier than you might expect.
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® movers are encouraged to meet the child at his or her level. Once the child feels comfortable with the people who are hired to move the entire contents of their life, the anxiety is diffused and the child is more likely to join in the adventure.
Here are five key thoughts to consider when moving with small ones:
1) Harness the good in change, and frame the move as a grand adventure. Plan a fun event after the move is complete. Make a favourite meal or buy a new piece of furniture you know they’ll love, like a bean bag, canopy netting for the bed, an inexpensive tent for the new room, or a wall decal of their favourite cartoon character.
2) Remove the unknown by planning ahead. Keep the move a daily topic, especially as the day nears. You’ll pick up on anxiety triggers allowing you to head off potential issues.
3) Pack special toys in a carry-on that never leaves the child’s side. Keeping their favourite things close is a sure-fire way to curry comfort and reduce anxiety.
4) Make introductions to the drivers on move day. Our movers care about pets and kids, and there are countless stories of our teams going above and beyond for our clients’ loved ones. While moving can be stress-filled, professional movers know they are hired to minimize this to any degree they’re able.
5) Take advantage of opportunities to be inclusive with your children. Many kids just want to have a place in the process. There are opportunities abound that give them a role while keeping them out of the fray. Ensure their special tasks are safe but rewarding.
If you and your chosen movers handle your children’s experience with TLC, your move will be memorable for all the right reasons.
Click here for a checklist to help move your family.
Keeping the kids busy during your move
Infants and toddlers need a lot of supervision on move day. Your front door will be open most of the move, and people will be carrying heavy items and moving at a pretty quick pace. With very young children, it's best to find a baby sitter for the day. For older kids that can, make sure there are books to read, movies on a tablet or phone, and lots of simple activities to keep them busy.
We’ve developed a fun "Travelin’ Truckie" activity book for children to use during move day. You can download the free, four-page coloring book complimentary of TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® here. We’ve also partnered with Highlights to create a fun activity sheet to keep them busy during move day. Download the printable Highlights activity sheet, here.
MINI MOVER MANIA MOBILE GAME
Another way to keep your kids busy while you concentrate on completing your home move is the TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® interactive video game, Mini Mover Mania!
This exciting racing game gives players the task of delivering customers’ belongings safe and sound while dealing with rough terrains and obstacles on each course. Brake, accelerate, and tilt your way through different levels while collecting coins that allow you to purchase upgrades and new vehicles in the Mini Mover Mania store!
There are no in-app purchases necessary for this app – just gaming skills to help you complete the journey!